Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Don't Judge a Book by it's Cover


Old sayings often have great value and are being lost in our modern society. Not only in saying them, but practicing them. Our society is becoming more and more superficial where appearances and first impressions carry too much weight, having all the gadgets, the right car and new house are valued too highly, as is the academic and extra-curricula achievements of even very young children. What happened to getting to know people? Seeing beyond whether they are black, white, Asian, fat, thin or if they're wearing clean or name-brand clothing? What happened to working hard, caring for friends and family, valuing what you have, working from the bottom up, repairing and renovating your home as you can afford and as years go by? What happened to children being children without the pressure of achievement? See qualities in all of us beyond status, money and the highest achievement possible? I was driving home this morning and noticed an older man in very dirty raggy clothing, carrying all sorts of junk, walking along the highway with his head down, before disappearing from sight. He appeared to be homeless - something we don't see much in our small town. Instead of feeling disgusted at his appearance or scared because he looked different from the norm, I felt incredible sadness and empathy for him and made a mental note to keep an eye out for him in the following days, and to offer him a warm drink and direction to the local Salvation Army Depo, or help of a similar nature, that seems appropriate in the given moment. I felt proud of myself and a swelling of my heart, at the love I seem to have for humanity. And saddened too, that I judge myself too harshly on the exact same things I deplore when others judge or that I don't seem to judge others by Criticising myself for not working enough, for being fat, for wearing sloppy clothes or being ugly and lazy. A little reminder to be kinder to myself as I'm as deserving of self love as others are of my love.

2 comments:

  1. so true that we be so kind and compassionate to others but ourselves there is none... a legacy of abuse i think
    here is to a new year of kindness to ourselves :0

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think I've decided that my inner judge might become a casualty of the economic crisis, and become unemployed!

    ReplyDelete